Is chiropractic care a safe course of treatment for your child? Practically every parent has asked this question. The good news is that chiropractic is recognized not only as safe but effective for kids of all ages, from infancy to the teen years.
Unfortunately, many adults don’t know about the ins and outs of chiropractic care for their children. They need information about the advantages of care, the best time to take a child to the chiropractor, the overall safety of spinal adjustments, and what kinds of things a chiropractor typically treats when dealing with young patients.
The bottom line is this: chiropractic treatment is fully safe for both adults and children of all ages. So, whether you’re 1 or 101, a trip to the chiropractor can do you a lot of good. It’s also a smart idea to know some of the common symptoms that children exhibit when they are ready for chiropractic care. You can empower yourself as a parent just by learning what chiropractors do, how they treat children, and what conditions are common for young patients.
What to Know About Chiropractic Care for Children
Every parent wants to know about the safety of chiropractic treatment for children. Multiple studies have demonstrated that chiropractic care is safe for young children and can deliver many of the same benefits as it does for adults.
Extensive evidence exists to support the general safety and effectiveness of chiropractic care for children. As their bodies develop from year to year, getting the right kind of treatment can assure that youngsters are getting the very best physical, emotional, and mental support they need from doctors and parents. What are a few of the most typical questions chiropractors get concerning young patients? Here are some of the most frequent ones:
- How, specifically, can chiropractors treat children? A typical trip to the chiropractor’s office for a child will include a comprehensive medical history and exam. The doctor always considers all factors about the case before arriving at a diagnosis and prescribing a plan of treatment. Every plan, as is the case with adults, is tailored to the child’s specific situation and medical state, including age, physical condition, discomfort, and all other pertinent information.
- How old should children be at their first chiropractic visit? Considering the fact that many mothers receive prenatal care from their chiropractor, the child can begin treatment any time after birth. Women often continue to visit their chiropractors and bring their infants along for checkups as well. When it comes to treatment, there is no minimum or maximum age.
- Are kids afraid of chiropractors? Most children have a fear of dentists and doctors until they’ve become comfortable with a particular practitioner. Of course, there are no genuine risks for children who visit chiropractors. When parents are worried about their kids’ possible fears, it often helps to explain what chiropractors do and how they can help people of all ages feel better.
- What symptoms should I look for in my child? Be attentive to problems your child might complain about like back, neck, or shoulder pain. In addition, have a look at the child’s shoulders and see if you notice an uneven appearance. It’s a good idea to visit the chiropractor when your youngster has problems getting regular sleep, lacks good mobility in the back or neck region, or has challenges related to walking upright.
- Is there any pain for the child during treatment? Chiropractic treatment causes no pain for children. In fact, there are special techniques that the physician uses when dealing with children, including extremely gentle forms of adjustment and physical therapy. Usually, once a child has visited a chiropractor one time and seen first-hand that there is nothing to worry about, kids tend to look forward to their next visits.
How a Chiropractor Can Help Your Child
The life of young children is full of risks, scrapes, bumps, bruises, and dozens of physical hazards. That’s just what being a kid is all about. But it doesn’t have to be scary for parents. Chiropractors can work to help children of all ages. One of the main benefits of chiropractic care for young people is that it has the potential to prevent some problems that tend to plague adults, like poor posture and low-back pain. Even infants gain an advantage from care. Chiropractic care can help babies who are having trouble with breastfeeding.
Another benefit unique to kids is a boost in brain function. That’s because their spines are still growing and developing. When they receive spinal adjustments, it’s possible for that nervous system growth to move along without any impediments, enhance the immune system, and make for a generally healthy brain. When kids of any age receive chiropractic care on a regular basis, they gain plenty of benefits, including the following:
- Many different kinds of injuries can be quickly treated
- Stronger powers of concentration and attention to academic work
- Dealing with ineffective and possibly dangerous posture
- Fewer illnesses due to a more robust immune system
- Better physical performance in sports
- A stronger, more efficient nervous system
- Reduction of pain in the neck and back
- Sound sleep with fewer interruptions related to body pain
- More mobile joints and spine
- Relief for migraine headaches and less serious forms of headache pain
Chiropractors Can Treat Many Childhood Medical Conditions
Infants, toddlers, and older children face a unique set of challenges that adults don’t have to worry about. Their small bodies are unique in that they’re still growing. Their brains, spines, bones, muscles, and organs are in an almost constant state of flux. The obvious result is that chiropractors see an entirely different set of conditions when they treat children. What are some of those childhood challenges that bring kids in for treatment? Here are a few of the most common ones.
- Problems associated with constipation and occasional irregularity
- Asthma of all kinds, whether severe or mild
- Minor illnesses like sore throats, ear aches, colds, and influenza
- Infections in and around the ear canal
- Problems with the immune system
- Injuries that result from playing sports, general trauma, and other kinds of accidents
- Various difficulties associated with speech
- Poor alignment of the spine
- Stomach problems and various digestive difficulties
- Bed-wetting and other kinds of urinary problems
- Headaches of all kinds
Making Your Child’s Health a Priority
The sooner your child sees a chiropractor, the better. Be sure to choose a practitioner who has experience working with children. At Delaware Integrative Healthcare, our doctors treat expectant mothers, infants, toddlers, young children, teens, and adults of all ages. The most important thing is to get treatment for your child and get them started off right with complete healthcare.
There’s never a charge for an initial consultation for you or your child. Feel free to give us a call at your convenience. Our direct phone number is (302) 744-8650, or you can email us at [email protected] To learn more about what we do and how we can help your child gain all the benefits of chiropractic care, visit our website at https://www.deintegrativehealthcare.com/. We look forward to hearing from you and setting up an appointment time that fits into your schedule.