Do you have allergies and dread the arrival of warm weather every year? Millions of people feel the same way. Are you tired of taking over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs that seem to work a little but have many side effects? Wouldn’t it be great if there were a way to treat the root cause, not just the symptoms, of allergies, and get them under control once and for all?
The good news is that chiropractic care uses no drugs or medicines yet can effectively relieve a great deal of the pain and discomfort that comes with allergies. Chiropractic is an all-natural treatment method that emphasizes spinal health and the body’s own robust healing systems. How can you determine whether this established, respected form of medical treatment can deliver allergy relief for you?
The first step is finding out exactly what allergies are, how they interfere with your well-being, and why they can do so much damage. Then, take the time to learn about how chiropractic physicians treat minor and severe allergies and help patients get long-term relief. Of course, it helps to know the signs and symptoms of allergies so you’ll know how to distinguish between seasonal and other types of this widespread condition.
Get started by discovering some of the basic facts about allergies.
What Are Allergies?
Allergies can be bothersome, annoying, debilitating, and even life-threatening. Oddly, some people experience severe allergic reactions to things like dust and dairy products, while others have no problems at all. There’s no rhyme or reason about who gets allergies, but fortunately, there are treatment options for those who suffer.
When a substance that is normally no threat at all to the human body, like grass or milk, causes your immune system to over-react, then you have an allergy to that substance, whatever it is. Science calls anything that causes these kinds of over-reactions allergens. Some of the most common allergens include things like cat dander, pollen, various foods (nuts and milk, for example), mold, dust, and hundreds more. About 50 million Americans suffer from some form of allergy.
Some allergies arrive every year in the form of plant substances that grow seasonally, like grasses and literally thousands of different types of trees, plants, and airborne substances. Other allergens include things around us all the time, like dust, pet dander, and food.
Here are some of the typical categories of allergies:
- Food: Many people are allergic to nuts, soy, fish, milk, eggs, and wheat.
- Latex: People who work in the healthcare industry often come into contact with this substance every day and develop allergic reactions to it.
- Plants: Thousands of plants cause people to break out in hives, have respiratory problems, and develop sores on their skin.
- Drugs: Drug allergies are common. Penicillin is the most common drug that causes severe reactions, but there are thousands more.
- Insects: Bee and mosquito stings are extremely common forms of insect allergies.
- Animals: Pet allergies usually develop when people come in contact with tiny flakes of the animal’s skin or with its hair.
How Chiropractic Care Treats Allergies
There is a very close connection between the human body’s nervous and immune systems. Chiropractors work to enhance the patient’s physical communication pathways between the spinal cord and the brain. This is the main way in which chiropractic medicine can help allergy sufferers regulate their bodily reactions to allergens and coordinate physical reactions to substances that usually cause problems.
Of course, every patient is unique, and your chiropractor will design a treatment plan based on your medical history, physical condition, age, allergic symptoms, and other factors. However, there are four basic ways that chiropractic medicine offers relief from allergies and helps people get long-term, natural relief:
- It works to moderate and restore hormonal systems that deal with stress: When a person’s adrenal glands are overburdened due to excessive stress, the body can’t moderate allergic reactions. Adjusting the spine can mean a stronger adrenal system, which typically results in fewer and less severe allergy symptoms.
- It enhances the body’s entire immune-response system: When the alignment of the spine is out of kilter, the brain is not able to communicate effectively with the body. Chiropractors can focus on restoring neck alignment to enhance the natural immune response of the body and decrease unwanted allergy symptoms.
- Chiropractic physicians offer advice about lifestyle changes: Chiropractors are trained to uncover lifestyle factors in their patients’ daily routines that make allergies worse. They then instruct people about how to change these factors and get faster relief.
- Chiropractic treatment can strengthen the respiratory system: The human respiratory system can’t do its job effectively unless the brain and body can communicate in the right way. When the spine is not properly aligned, this communication system gets thrown off. Chiropractors adjust the spine in such a way that the respiratory system can get back to work and effectively handle allergic reactions.
Know the Signs and Symptoms of Allergies
Allergy symptoms can range from very minor to deadly. In fact, two people can react in completely different ways to the exact same substance. For example, one person might develop a runny nose in the presence of ragweed while another comes down with a full-blown respiratory illness from the same allergen. In general, the most common allergens include the following:
The severity of symptoms during an allergic reaction can vary widely. Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction include the following:
- Repetitive sneezing
- A runny or stuffed-up nose
- Itchy eyes that produce excess amounts of fluid
- Vomiting or a stomach ache
- Severe itching of the nose
- Cramps in the stomach
- Skin rashes that typically look red and have raised, itchy areas
- Coughing bouts that can last a very long time
- General body pain
- Swelling of the tongue
- Chest pain or tightness
- Feeling as if you are about to faint
Don’t Let Allergies Ruin Your Summer
There’s no reason to let the upcoming summer and fall months be a time of sneezing, sniffling, and allergy suffering. Nor do you need to rely on medications that just seem to make all the symptoms worse. Make an appointment with Delaware Integrative Medicine and we’ll help you restore your body’s natural healing process and minimize seasonal and other kinds of allergies.
There is never a charge for an evaluation, and you can book an appointment online or over the phone. Why not deal with your allergies the natural, more effective way with chiropractic care? Our physicians can speak with you during the initial consultation. After that, you can decide if you wish to go forward with a full course of treatment like spinal adjustments and other non-medication options.
Don’t suffer through the same annual round of allergy discomfort you’ve been enduring year after year. Contact our office today and take the first step toward long-term allergy relief.