Are you one of the millions of pregnant women who wonder about the benefits of chiropractic care? Do you worry about how your body will deal with the many challenges that are part of labor and childbirth? Studies have shown that regular visits to a chiropractor during pregnancy can help reduce joint pain in many women who experience this common form of prenatal discomfort.
Wouldn’t it be great to find a way to make your nervous system more resilient, boost your general health, contribute to your child’s well-being, and essentially push the “reset” button on all your body’s vital systems? Chiropractic care can deliver dozens of benefits to expectant mothers at the time when they most need relief from pain, discomfort, and potential health problems.
It’s important to understand why pregnant women go to chiropractors, what kind of help they receive, and why the treatment is completely safe for people of all ages and genders, but especially for mothers-to-be. The key advantage of chiropractic medicine is that it’s a natural way of healing the body and maintaining optimum health. If you want a less difficult labor, and a generally more stress-free pregnancy, seek chiropractic care as soon as you learn that you are expecting.
Getting regular adjustments, for example, can alleviate many of the routine aches and pains that come with pregnancy. Additionally, you’ll have the peace of mind in knowing that you’re getting the most complete, drug-free, natural, non-surgical health care there is: chiropractic treatment.
Always remember to inform your chiropractor as soon as you learn of your pregnancy. Many chiropractic physicians specialize in treating expectant mothers and newborns. But first, find out about the general safety of chiropractic care, the main reasons women seek out chiropractors, and what to do after the baby arrives. Here are some common questions that chiropractors hear from prospective patients:
- Are there women who should not visit a chiropractor? Yes. There are some so-called “contra-indications” for women who experience vaginal bleeding, have ectopic pregnancies, experience toxemia, placenta previa/abruption. More details about contra-indications are listed below.
- Is chiropractic care safe for expectant mothers? There are some special cases in which women should avoid chiropractic care due to their physical condition. While there are many of these so-called “contra-indications,” four are more common than others. They include, vaginal bleeding, toxemia of any kind, an ectopic pregnancy, and placenta previa/abruption. If you are affected by any of those conditions, be sure to avoid seeking chiropractic treatment until they are cleared up or have completely subsided.
- What are the main reasons mothers-to-be seek chiropractic care? There are dozens of reasons but five stand out. They include relief from back pain, pelvic pain, and sciatica. Additionally, women seek out chiropractic treatment during pregnancy in order to lessen the pain of labor and birth. Finally, regular chiropractic visits during pregnancy can help better position the baby in preparation for birth.
- What happens after the baby is born? Women who receive regular chiropractic care during pregnancy come to discover the effectiveness of this type of medical treatment. For that reason alone, they usually follow up by bringing their newborn infant in with them for followup visits in the months and years after the child is born.
Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe During Pregnancy?
Women whose bodies are getting ready to give birth often wonder about the safety of any kind of medical treatment they receive, including chiropractic care. It’s a good question and directly pertains to the main mission of chiropractic medicine, namely spinal maintenance and adjustment.
Physicians apply mild pressure to critical areas of the spinal column in order to bring those joints into alignment. This approach is especially important for pregnant women because it works without drugs or surgery. The entire adjustment is a form of physical therapy and done with the doctor’s hands.
Note that every licensed chiropractor has the training to work with pregnant patients, but a number of chiropractic physicians specialize in postnatal and prenatal techniques. The bottom line is this: Chiropractic care is not only safe for pregnant women but is a good way to minimize many of the common discomforts that come with childbirth.
Why Expectant Mothers Visit Chiropractors
While there are multiple reasons for women to visit chiropractors during pregnancy, the following five are among the most common:
- One: Reduction of back pain Hormonal changes, weight gain, stress, and a growing belly can all contribute to back pain for pregnant women. Chiropractors are especially trained to help alleviate this type of pain in expectant mothers.
- Two: Relief from sciatica Typical postural mis-alignment that occurs in pregnant women can put pressure on the sciatic nerve. A chiropractor can provide regular adjustments to better align the spinal column and avoid a good portion of this problem.
- Three: To minimize pelvic pain Chiropractic adjustments can help to create the ideal pelvic position before birth and works to strengthen the typically loose ligaments in this region of the body. Many women experience pelvic pain during pregnancy, but it varies in degrees of severity.
- Four: Easier labor/delivery Women who get regular treatment from a chiropractor during pregnancy tend to have shorter and less strenuous labor. Delivery tends to be less painful as well.
- Five: Better position for the baby before birth When your spine and other major joints are aligned properly before birth, it’s easier for the baby’s body to get into the optimum position for delivery.
Get the Help You Need When You Need It Most
It’s a good idea to let your chiropractor know you are pregnant as soon as you find out. The sooner you schedule a visit after learning of your pregnancy, the better. If you don’t yet have a regular chiropractic physician, try to choose one who has several years of experience with expectant mothers, or who is a specialist in treating women who are about to give birth. At Delaware Integrative Healthcare, all our chiropractors treat mothers-to-be and their newborn infants.
Our chiropractors also accept new adult patients throughout the year and treat toddlers, teens, and children and adults of every age. For women who are about to have a baby, it’s important to seek chiropractic treatment as early in the pregnancy as possible. At Delaware Integrative Healthcare, we never charge for an initial consultation for expectant mothers or anyone else.
If you are expecting, don’t hesitate to contact our office by phone or email. We’ll be happy to set up an appointment that fits into your busy schedule. Our phone number is (302) 744-8650, and our email address is [email protected] Be sure to let us know if you have any questions about what we do or the kinds of treatment we provide, and we’ll respond as quickly as possible.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy can make you feel better and help you get through what is often a challenging time for women who are expecting a child. We look forward to speaking with you and answering your questions about chiropractic treatment.